I offer substantive editing, copy editing, and proofreading services for a variety of nonfiction publications, including
- trade books
- scholarly journals and books
- magazine articles
- market research reports
- annual reports
- manuals and guides
As a certified professional editor with a background in science and training in plain language principles, I have an acute understanding of the importance of precise language and specialize in clearly conveying complex concepts to a general audience. I strive always to sensitively balance the needs of the author with those of the readership.
In 2012 I received Editors Canada’s Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence in recognition of my work.
Past editing projects include
- Fred Herzog: Photographs, with contributions by Douglas Coupland, Claudia Gochmann, Sarah Milroy, and Jeff Wall, Douglas & McIntyre
- Historical Atlas of Oregon and Washington by Derek Hayes, University of California Press
- Exploring Vancouver: The Architectural Guide by Harold Kalman and Robin Ward, Douglas & McIntyre
- For the Love of Soup by Jeanelle Mitchell, Whitecap Books
I also provide both narrative and technical writing and rewriting services as needed. Trained in technical communication, I am a strong researcher and have authored both print and online articles and manuals.