Since 2001 I have been active in various facets of publishing, from writing, editing, and indexing to design and production.
I am a certified professional editor and active member of the Editors’ Association of Canada. For several years I worked in house for D&M Publishers, at the time Canada’s largest independent book publisher, as both editor and editorial coordinator, developing editorial systems to improve communication with authors and freelance editors, streamline workflow, and minimize errors. I have also been a freelancer for a variety of clients, editing, indexing, and designing a spectrum of publication genres from educational books and scholarly journals to market research reports and online guides. In 2012 I received the Editors’ Association of Canada’s Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence in recognition of my work.
I have an eye for detail and have worked extensively with standard style guides such as the Chicago Manual of Style and the Canadian Press Style Book. I was involved in updating Meeting Professional Editorial Standards for copy editing, published by the Editors’ Association of Canada.
I look forward to each project as an opportunity to learn something new.
- Technical Communication Certificate, Vancouver Island University
- Master of Publishing, Simon Fraser University
- Master of Science (Physics), University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Science (Honours in Physics), University of Alberta
- On-Screen Editing: Getting the Most out of Microsoft Word, SFU Writing and Communications Program
Other Professional Development
- Member of the Editors’ Association of Canada Certification Steering Committee (national) and Programs Committee (BC branch)
- Picture Research, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Past member of the Editors’ Association of Canada Credential Maintenance Subcommittee
- An In-house Editors’ Open Discussion Group (as session leader), Editors’ Association of Canada Conference
- Grammar Fundamentals, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Indexing: An Overview for Editors and Publishers, SFU Summer Publishing Program
- Punctuation and Mechanics, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Plain Language Principles, SFU Writing and Publishing Program
- Secrets of Syntax, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Clear and Concise: Guidelines for Style, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Strategies for Book Editing, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Usage Woes and Myths, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Adobe Illustrator, Emily Carr University Continuing Studies
Although I am happy to work on a wide variety of nonfiction publications, I have a particular interest in cookbooks, as well as books about science and natural history, history, cultural studies, public policy, and language.